2001 1st edition "First Edition" stated; Random House publishers, New York; larger hardbound in blue and black boards with gilt lettering along spine; very good condition with unmarked pages; black and white photos; dust jacket quite good.
Despite all that has already been written on Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Joseph Persico has uncovered a hitherto overlooked dimension of FDR’s wartime leadership: his involvement in intelligence and espionage operations.
Roosevelt’s Secret War is crowded with remarkable revelations:
- FDR wanted to bomb Tokyo before Pearl Harbor
- A defector from Hitler’s inner circle reported directly to the Oval Office
- Roosevelt knew before any other world leader of Hitler’s plan to invade Russia
- Roosevelt and Churchill concealed a disaster costing hundreds of British soldiers’ lives in order to protect Ultra, the British codebreaking secret
- An unwitting Japanese diplomat provided the President with a direct pipeline into Hitler’s councils
Roosevelt’s Secret War also describes how much FDR had been told–before the Holocaust–about the coming fate of Europe’s Jews. And Persico also provides a definitive answer to the perennial question Did FDR know in advance about the attack on Pearl Harbor?